geekboyking

Sex Magick Best Of The Equinox Volume III: 3
Aleister Crowley, Introduction by Lon Milo Duquette
Learn Windows PowerShell 3 in a Month of Lunches
Don Jones, Jeffrey Hicks

Jesus the Magician: A Renowned Historian Reveals How Jesus Was Viewed by People of His Time

Jesus the Magician - Morton Smith, Bart D Ehrman This can be a bit of a dry read at times. There is a lot of repetition. The author makes several assumptions and runs with them as fact. He also at one point uses an "extended" version of Mark that only he has ever seen evidence of as proof. All that being said, I still enjoyed the book. The author makes a reasonably solid case despite its faults. He also cites many sources that I hadn't seen before. I didn't know there was mention of Jesus in the Talmud. Also some nice quotes from Egyptian magical papyri, although it appears that the author did his own translations here, and with the Talmud and even the Bible. The whole "I discovered a secret version of the book of Mark that no one else has ever seen, but it disappeared" thing makes the author a bit suspect to me, but I will now be looking for other writers who examine this aspect of Jesus' career that don't rely on this author for their arguments to see if the evidence is as good as it is made out to be here.